How Can TMJ Disorders Dampen Your Summer Mood?
Are you experiencing persistent or increased headache, jaw pain and uncomfortable symptoms that are dampening your summer mood? One of the most looked forward holiday break, you definitely want to be out in the sun and enjoying all the summer activities with your family and friends instead of being sidelined at home being uncomfortable due to TMJ disorders.
What is TMJ Disorders?
TMJ disorders refer to Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, and the joint is located in front of the ear on both sides of the head. Any issue that prevents the set of muscles, disc, ligaments, and bones from working is referred to TMJ disorder.
Signs And Symptoms Of TMJ Disorder
There are many signs and symptoms of TMJ disorder, some may experience popping in the jaw, difficulties eating or even sudden disability to close your mouth which may or may not be resolved instantaneously. Some other symptoms include:
- Jaw pain when opening or closing your mouth
- Headache or pain in the temple area
- Clicking sound when opening or closing your mouth
- Popping sound in the ears
- Sore or stiff jaw muscles
- Locking of jaw joint
- Tenderness of jaw muscles
- Misalignment of upper and lower row of teeth
- Muscle spasm in the jaw
- Shoulder pain
- Blurred Vision
Causes of TMJ Disorders
Some possible causes of TMJ disorders include:
- Injuries/trauma â€“ any direct or indirect blow to the face or lower jaw could result in trauma
- Prolonged stress to the jaw joint â€“ There are some individuals who habitually clenches or grinds their teeth, causing prolonged stress and pain in the joint and muscles. Some individuals might be unaware of if it takes place during sleep.
- Arthritis â€“ Arthritis is a degenerative process due to aging and it might damage the jaw joint due to the inflammation
- Excessive Gum Chewing
Treatment Options For TMJ Disorders
Depending on the severity and cause of your condition, there are both surgical and non-surgical treatments plans. Oral medication is an option to help reduce inflammation and the pain, therapies such as relaxation techniques to help control muscle tension in the jaw may be introduced. For individuals who do not improve after non-surgical treatments, there are also surgical options such as jaw surgery or surgically flushing the jaw joint with fluid. There are several home remedies tips to help provide temporary relief:
- Apply ice or cold packs to the affected area
- Massage or gentle self-stretching of the jaw and neck muscles
- Applying sedative essential oils
When Should You Visit The Dentist?
A general rule of the thumb is to visit the dentist early if you experience discomfort, do not wait till the pain becomes unbearable before booking an appointment. Summer holidays are the best time of the year to get out of the house to enjoy the sun and create memories with your family and friends. Do not allow TMJ disorders to dampen your summer mood. Book an appointment with your dentist for your regular dental checks.